four generations of feisty women
Grandma with several of her desendents (l-r: Katie, my mom, my brother Daniel, my dad, me, and my brother Mike)
I'm lucky in that I've lived almost my entire life within thirty minutes of my dad's parents. Even so, I didn't see them extremely often growing up. We saw them for every major holiday and birthday -- usually a formal fancy dinner at their house or a nice seafood restaurant. We also spent many of our Independence Days over there -- most notable because my grandfather would allow us to shoot off (illegal) firecrackers in his backyard while my mother hid inside, trying not to imagine the potential consequences.
My grandparents were extremely generous, but always a little bit distant emotionally. Still, my grandmother's love for me was demonstrated on a few very memorable occasions.
The first was in the mid-80s. Christmas was approaching, and I was one of the millions of little girls who was desperate for a Cabbage Patch Kid. My other grandma, being the practical and blunt one, thought the best solution was to pop my bubble. I still remember her hissing to me over the phone, "They're UGLY! UGLY!!" as she tried to convince me I didn't want one after all. But not Grandma Roberts. Grandma Roberts somehow managed, against all odds, to get me a Cabbage Patch Kid for Christmas that year. It's the Christmas present I will always remember best. And I've always imagined my frail little grandma getting into fistfights with other moms and grandmas as they battled for the only Cabbage Patch Kids at the toystore. She denied that was the case, but I enjoy my grandma fistfight memory and have decided to hold onto it. :-)
The second time I knew how much Grandma loved me was when I was trying to explain to my grandpa that I wanted to be a missionary overseas. He was very unhappy with this idea and was trying to talk me out of it. ("How about the Humane Society? They always need help.") Grandma couldn't have been thrilled with the idea of me spending my life on the other end of the world, and she wasn't especially fond of missionaries in general, but for her my happiness was the important thing, and she let my grandpa know this in no uncertain terms. "LEAVE HER ALONE, BILL! Whatever Jennifer wants to do, let her do."
When my grandpa died just over five years ago, we all grieved his passing. But the sad event also had a silver lining. Now that Grandma was all alone, I started spending a lot more time with her. On days when I was "working from home," we'd go to lunch together. I took her to some of her doctor's appointments. We started building a friendship we'd never really had before. (With five kids in my family, it was hard for any of us to get much one-on-one time with any of our grandparents.)
And then I started having kids. Within hours of Katie's birth, my grandma was sitting by my bedside holding her great-granddaughter.

Shortly thereafter, my grandma's health began to decline and she needed to move into assisted living. For several weeks Katie and I went to see her every other day, and for months after that we visited weekly. Grandma loved seeing Katie grow, and Katie enjoyed showing Grandma her toys and books, and as she got older she would "perform" for Grandma, demonstrating the new words and songs she was learning.
Once, when Katie was only ten months old and asleep in her stroller, Grandma started reminiscing about her courtship with my Grandpa, and about their marriage and early life together. I am so glad I pulled out my camera, because I got to record fourteen minutes of my Grandma and Grandpa's love story.
Seven months ago, Joshua started coming along on our visits too. Although Grandma wouldn't remember us much from visit to visit, she was always happy to see the kids.
Last week I decided to go visit Grandma. It had been several months since I'd last seen her, and even though my grandma's mind wasn't all there anymore, I missed her. So even though Joshua was in desperate need of a nap, I threw the kids in the car and headed to the nursing home for a short visit with Grandma. I'm so glad I did. It was a very special visit and it ended up being the last time we would see her alive. Katie said "Great-Grandma" for the first time, which charmed Grandma's socks off. And whenever my mom wheeled my Grandma down the hall, Katie would take my Grandma's hand in hers and "help" her. It was so sweet watching them go down the hall hand in hand that I took a photo of it. As far as I know, it's the last photo ever taken of my grandma.

What a way to leave -- hand in hand with your great-granddaughter. I hope and pray that Grandma will be walking hand-in-hand with Jesus for eternity.


What a beautiful story. Thanks for sharing in your time of loss. I'm crying because I lost two grandparents in a year. My Grandad I lost six months ago had rapid dementia after having triple bypass surgery he never really recovered from. I mourned him for 6 months before he passed away as he was not the same Grandad who went into surgery. I mourn him still.
ReplyDeleteI hope you don't mind that a friend shared this with me. It was an honor being your grandma's social worker at the National Lutheran Home during the time she was there. I don't often get to know who the person was before they come to be there. It was wonderful to read about your grandma's life since she wasn't able to share much with me. When our nursing staff are upset after a resident passes away, I always tell them, "Yes, it's sad that we lost them but we got to help make the end of their life a little bit more special." I think the end of her life was as good as it could be since she was content to life at the Lutheran Home and because you and your family visited often. The residents who get the visitors like she got are usually the happiest. I will miss your grandma!
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful memories for all of you. Jen you did a wonderful job honoring and remembering your grandmother. These memories will carry you all thru your grieve and in the years to come.
ReplyDeleteEspecially love the picture of Katie leading her great-grandmother... very touching. Patricia McBride
Your love for her spills out of this post, Jen. What a beautiful way to honor her.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE that last picture of her and Katie.
I still miss my grandmother - and I lost her in very much the same way - slowly as her memory went. Praying for you, dear friend.
what a joy to read. It made me go right down memory lane with my own parents. Married right before the war, pictures in sepia on their wedding day. My own mother ( with a brain tumor) was able to recount all of her courtship and memories of a wonderful life with my dad as well, but not know present events.How kind of God.
ReplyDeleteBy the pictures you posted, you can tell she was a kind, gentle, and caring woman. You have honored with your blog information
Carol Bladen- co worker/friend of your dad, Jeff
Sorry to hear about your Grandma's passing! I love your post--a great tribute to her life. You do a great job of celebrating her life; I'm so glad that you were able to see her and know her as well as you did.
ReplyDelete